Top 7 Signs of having an Underground Water LeakOne of the key signs of a leak is noticing a pool of water in the yard. But, there are other signs that could be trying to alert you to an underground water leak, such as:
- Lower Water Pressure
- Increased Water Bills
- Cracked Foundation
- Sinkholes in the Yard
- Bad Smell
- Dirt and Air in the Water
- Water in the Front of Your House
DIY Check to Tell If You Have a Water Leak UndergroundHere are a few steps that you as the homeowner can take to check your home for leaks:
- Look for the water meter which is usually located on the ground outside of the house. Typically covered by a heavy lid near the driveway.
- Switch off the water supply using the shut-off valve, which should be on the corner of your house or even in the basement.
- Switch off all of the water faucets in your house.
- Use a marker to make a sign on the rim of the water meter gauge.
- Leave the valve shut for 30 minutes or so. If after you check it in 30 minutes, you notice that the needle has moved then you might have a leak somewhere in the house, which needs to get checked by a professional pronto.